History

Invitation close-up

 

“What a lovely school this is!” enthused Miss Noel Streatfeild, a renowned children’s author of the time, as she opened Tufnell Park School in 1955. “So modern.”

 

Gothic houses along Carleton Road were razed to make way for a purpose-built school for the children growing up on the new Hilldrop and Tufnell Park estates. The development was clearly welcome: according to the local paper, the queue of families waiting to enrol stretched round the corner. The school opened with 350 children – more than we have today – taught by just nine teachers and the headmistress, Mrs Kemp.

The Scooby-Doo house had to go - Dalmeny Road before the school was built.

The Scooby-Doo house had to go – Carleton Road before the school was built.

 

Where are they now? The school's first roll in 1955.

Where are they now? The school’s first roll in 1955.

 

Our school has continued to serve the area, and the children from Hilldrop and Tufnell Park estates, for almost 60 years. The 1980s saw the demolition of the keeper’s house to be replaced by the school pond – now part of our extensive wild garden. In 2005, a major building project introduced premises for our nursery, bringing it on site for the first time.

 

The Keeper's House was falling down anyway - we made it into a lovely pond area.

The Keeper’s House was falling down anyway – we made it into a lovely pond area.

 

Building the Nursery 2005. We’re not scared of children any more.

 

Throughout our continuing evolution, the sentiments of the first Assistant Head – one Alderman Lendon –still hold true:

 

“The children are certainly enthusiastic,” he said, as the school opened.

“There is no doubt we shall all get along very well together.”

 

ARE YOU A FORMER PUPIL?

We want to reconnect with former pupils – see our homepage for details. http://www.tufnellpark.islington.sch.uk/